The Hair Centre, Hair Loss Products For a FREE Hair Assessment Call 020 7976 6868
Male Hair Loss
Male Hair Loss

Hair Loss » Blog » Check-up pregnancy-related hair loss

Check-up pregnancy-related hair loss

MARION KERR

Health Care

What can cause hair to fall out? Although I’m used to seeing some hair loss after brushing it or in the drain after a shower, lately the amounts have increased. My hair doesn’t look noticeably thinner, but I’m getting worried I could end up bald. Help!

There are quite a number of causes of excessive hair loss. These can include hormonal problems, such as an overactive or underactive thyroid or an imbalance of sex hormones (androgens and oestrogens). Correcting the hormone imbalance may stop your hair loss.

Hair loss is a common problem after pregnancy and during the menopause. For those who experience a major illness or surgery, hair loss can occur after the event, and is usually the result of stress.

Certain medications including anticoagulants (blood thinners) and treatments for high blood pressure, gout and cardiac conditions can cause hair loss. Certain antidepressants,

high doses of vitamin and oral contraceptives may also result in hair thinning.

In addition, fungal infections of the scalp, particularly in children, can cause hair to fall out. Hair loss can be a sign of other conditions such as diabetes or lupus.

And let’s not forget the use of hair products that contain harsh chemicals that can damage the scalp and lead to hair loss.

I had my baby four months ago, but the problem is only happening now. Is this normal?

It’s perfectly normal to lose more hair than usual in the months following delivery, with the problem affecting between 40 and 50 per cent of postpartum women.

Normally, about 90 per cent of our hair is in the growing stage while the remaining 10 per cent is in the resting stage.

Every two to three months the resting hair falls out and allows new hair to grow in its place – these we usually notice in our brushes or in the drain after hair washing.

During pregnancy, increased levels of oestrogen prolongs the growing stage, leaving fewer hairs resting and is the reason why during pregnancy our hair tends to look thicker and more luxuriant.

However, after giving birth, oestrogen levels plummet, causing more hair to enter the resting phase. This results in a large proportion of hair falling out at the same time.

But don’t panic, your hair will grow back as hormone levels return to normal. Within six to 12 months it should be back to its pre-pregnancy condition.

Do you have Hair Loss Problems, read our Hair Loss Help

This entry was posted on Thursday, February 25th, 2010 at 11:18 am and is filed under HAIR LOSS HEALTH NEWS. You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.

Leave a Reply

Fake oakley sunglasses online Oakley sunglasses free shipping Cheap oakley from china Cheap oakley free shipping online Fake oakley from china Oakley sunglasses wholesale online Replica oakley paypal online